This wasn’t the dress I’d planned for Sew Dolly Clackett, but life has been a wee bit busy and I’m not entirely sure that I will finish my planned dress in time. I was getting a bit down about this, but then as I was finishing the hem on this dress last week, I realised that it would also serve as a Sew Dolly Clackett dress!
Introducing . . . The Brite Butterfly Dress!
My sister got married on Friday. It was a lovely, relaxed affair but she did ask for her guests to wear ‘bright’ clothes. That sent me searching across the internet to find the perfect fabric. I found it at Fabric.com – Michael Miller’s Flight Patterns – Glee. Once I’d ordered the fabric, I sat in a state of worry for around a week until it arrived – what if it wasn’t so lovely in person? What if it felt horrible? What would happen if I hadn’t bought enough?
Luckily, there was nothing to worry about. This was remarkably soft fabric (it is a quilting fabric, so I wasn’t sure how it would come out) and the colours are lovely and vivid. A quick wash and I was ready to put it together.
I’d chosen the Jamie Dress from Sis Boom patterns. I’d already made it once before, so I knew it was a simple, but lovely dress – and it was suitable for breast feeding. (Their sew-along actually has some special steps for breastfeeding, but I didn’t need them in this size) The only challenge this time was to arrange the material to try and highlight the butterflies in the fabric – they’re hard to see in the photos, but they are there.
One of my favourite bits of this dress is the front waist band, which has a wide outside piece sewn to the skinnier lining fabric then you sort of ‘smoosh’ it down. One you add the gathers above and below, it makes for a lovely look with contrasting lines.
The pattern is really well written, with lots of diagrams (which I often find easier than pictures). There is a sew-along available, but I didn’t even look at it – I found the instructions well and truly enough. It all came together really well – though I did have to be careful to pin as close to the seam allowances as possible, since pin marks did show up on the fabric. I played around with the straps a lot to try to get them to sit ‘just right’ – I probably could have tightened them just a little bit more, but they definitely did the job for the day.
It was really exciting to wear a special dress for such a special occasion. My sister was a beautiful bride, and the whole day came together beautifully.